Parental Relocation

Virginia Parental Relocation Attorney

Moving is normal during the course of a person’s lifetime. However, when child custody is a factor, moving is not something that can generally be done without concern to all parties involved. While a noncustodial parent can generally move whenever and wherever they want, the custodial parent must notify the noncustodial parent if they are relocating. There are certain requirements both parties should be aware of. An experienced Arlington parental relocation attorney can explain to you how this affects your individual case.

More Than 25 Years of Family Law Experience

At the Law Office of Raymond B. Benzinger, we can represent you and effectively handle your custody and relocation case. Our highly skilled Fairfax parental relocation attorney has 39 years of practice experience and more than 25 years of exclusive focus in divorce and family law. Seek help today and contact Raymond Benzinger to schedule an initial consultation.

Relocation and Child Custody in Virginia

Even though the noncustodial parent is free to go wherever they want, there will be an adjustment to his or her visitation schedule. For example, if a noncustodial parent chooses to move outside of Virginia, there has to be a change in the visitation schedule to accommodate the child. The issue of who pays for the resulting expenses is something we can help you resolve.

If the custodial parent is the party wanting to relocate, the situation becomes more complicated. Virginia statutes require that a custodial parent relocating must provide 30 days advanced written notice to the other party and the court. If the notified nonmoving party opposes the move, he or she must act quickly. He or she must file with the court any opposition. The burden then shifts immediately to the relocating party that the move is in the best interest of the child. All factors are considered in what is best for the child, not the parents. Even a parent’s substantial pay raise may not be enough, if relocation is not in the best interests of the child.

Contact Our Virginia Child Custody Lawyer

To arrange a consultation with our Arlington parental relocation attorney, call 703-537-5139. The Law Office of Raymond Benzinger is here to provide you effective representation and personalized attention.

Contact Us


Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...

Search Site

Copyright 2013 GoodChoice - Company. Design by OrangeIdea